Monday, March 25, 2013

Thoughts on Music (Part II)

The readings for this week led me to make more specific connections to language arts and music. Both are forms of art which incorporate writing. I appreciate the comparisons in the "Music and the Imagination" introduction piece. The words used created a very stark contrast for me. In his work, Copland references an expert who is well versed in the field. Auden states that "A verbal art like poetry is reflective; it stops to think". Yes, I feel that this is a true statement. I try to teach my students this point when we analyze lines and stanzas. In contrast, "Music is immediate; it goes on to become". Music and poetry are related. I emphasize this when I teach my poetry unit. I try and explain to my students that they can use what they know about lyrics and songs in order to provide a basis for their knowledge of poetry. A good musician is also a natural poet. Poetry requires imagination, just like the lyrics of a song. The difference is that song adds the element of instruments and voice to create a unique piece. How can I create a similar experience for my students? I often play music for them and let them feel the rhythm. I allow my students to move to the beat of the tune. We then work to identify rhyme and repetition in the lyrics. We analyze various songs using this process. It is a wonderful exercise which serves to expose students to the art of poetry through music.



Creativity and imagination go hand in hand within the classroom setting. This is why I agree with most of the points Copland makes. In both of his pieces I can find similarities among the professions. As a teacher who is under intense pressure for proficient and advanced test scores, the art of teaching is a flame that can be easily distinguished. I must be original in creating experiences that are more compelling for my class. Students are easily bored with the same dry texts and basic enrichment sheets. I need to think more in terms of their personal interests. I always feel the need to devise more meaning from my lessons. I strive for rich discussions and worthwhile activities in my language arts classroom. One example of something different that I have done in the past can be found above. With this said, I feel the "gifts" that are needed by a talented musician are also needed by an excellent teacher. Educators must be good listeners and be analytic. We must also work to compose our language in a way that reaches our whole audience, just like a musician does through song.   





No comments:

Post a Comment