Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Music Module Project







The song I chose to focus on for this module project is appropriately entitled "Eternal Dawn". This piece was carefully selected from the first Contra album which is named "The Epic...". This first album was released in 2010, and the band is currently working on their second. As a whole, Contra can best be described as an instrumental progressive rock band based out of Annapolis, Maryland. There is no singer, and this is one aspect of the band that makes them really stand out. I have seen the band live countless times. Each concert is a new experience. The group reaches a wide variety of listeners, young and old. Their music is diverse and varied. Fans keep coming back for the unique sounds and the wildly entertaining stage presence this band creates. 

The original sound the band showcases in their work serves to tell an interesting story. That is the main goal of their songs. Each song unfolds and progresses to create a tale. The band uses various guitar arpeggios, along with intense bass to generate their sound. Stimulating percussion and active accompaniment among members is evident on stage. This band's sound enthralls listeners as it takes you into their world. Through their work, Contra allows the audience to envision their own diverse worlds within the realm of song. For the purpose of this assignment I have analyzed "Eternal Dawn" to the best of my ability. The song is very lengthy, but in order to be specific I kept my analysis concise. I also conducted a brief interview with the band via Skype. I did this in order to gain greater insight for my module work. 

Enjoy the experience that is Contra!


No comments:

Post a Comment