Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Thoughts on Music (Part I)

Music has always been a passion of mine in one way or another. I dabbled in guitar and voice lessons all throughout middle and high school. College was filled with crowded concerts and loud outdoor music festivals. Each of these memories and experiences have followed me throughout the years to come. Like most, my favorite tunes have helped elevate my mood during rough times, gotten me through otherwise monotonous car rides, and more. I agree with the thought that music is an "emotional narrative". This point was referenced in "Over the Rainbow, From Kansas to Oz". The breakdown of that song was very interesting as it provided me with greater insight on the feelings. Yes, it also made me think and feel a different way about the song in general. Music is truly an art form that holds the great power to transform the ordinary to the extraordinary with a few simple notes.

 As this course continues on I began to see myself making abstract connections among these artists and teachers with a bit more ease. The readings for this week really aided in my overall understanding of how musicians think and work. "The Art of the Opening Notes" piece really did open my eyes as it allowed me to ponder many imaginative bridges. Listening to this discussion compelled me think about how an opening note can be a lot like the "engagement" portion of a lesson plan. In music, the piece needs to grab your attention from the beginning, while the teacher needs to attract the attention of the students from the very start. Without doing so, all hope might be lost! There are a few different ways to go about doing this within the classroom. The teacher can simply use his or her words, employ a variety of technological tools, or utilize other useful visuals. In comparison, the musician has a variety of tools that they can chose to selectively use to their advantage. 

Furthermore, in the discussion between Kapilow and Child it is noted that the "quiet and restrained" can be effective as well. Just as there are many approaches to an opening in a song, there are also many approaches to an opening of a lesson (or even in delivering a lesson in general). Once the appeal is there, it is noted that the artist has managed to "pull you into their world". Don't we wish to pull our students in as we strive to allow them to be part of our realm of thought? I know this is what I aim to do as I think of new ways to craft my lessons. Just as there is a relationship "between composer and audience", there is one present between educator and student. The student trusts the teacher to deliver the lesson in a way that fits their interests and varied needs. I could really continue writing more, but I will wrap up my thoughts as I close my entry for this week. In both professions, it is about the "kind of journey you want to take the audience on". I found this to be compelling in nature because I thought about my own work. I want my students to be as excited and enthusiastic as me. Music has the ability to create this type of experience within the audience, and so do we.



No comments:

Post a Comment