Friday, April 12, 2013

Two Minute Moment Project 3



The focus for my final 2MM video is culinary experiences. I do not mean dining out on the run or simply eating in for comfort. For me, the act of having a meal is far more compelling and goes deeper than just meeting nutritional needs. Furthermore, there is a vast difference between throwing together some ingredients in order to make a dish and really taking the time to craft the dish. There is also a stark contrast between going out to eat at a chain restaurant, or finding an authentic spot to dine at and delight in. These points are mentioned in order to add greater insight as to my line of thought on this important activity.

In my project, I place a specific emphasis on the diverse cultures one can encounter while enjoying new foods. If you push past your comfort zone, you may learn to enjoy foods you never thought you would ever be interested in before. In order to gain from this exercise, one must have an open mind and be willing to try new dishes and cuisines. For example, instead of sticking to a tried and true favorite on the menu, select something a bit more daring. Try discussing your choice with a friend. What did you like about the dish? If you had the chance, what would you change? Go into the city to dine, and stay away from chain restaurants, if possible.

I will say that I am someone who "lives to eat". My experiences have been heightened since moving to the East Coast. Four years ago I left Michigan in order to take a teaching position in Maryland. This is when my love of food took a different turn. Since seafood is fresh and plentiful in Maryland, this became my new food of choice. It was a group of new friends who introduced me to "picking" crabs on the dock on a summer day. Delighting in good company and learning about a different culture is another way to make a culinary event worthwhile. Heading into Annapolis or D.C is also a way to expose myself to new ways of life and various food choices. I can discover something as unique as a duck fat burger in a dive bar, to something as delicious as a chicken shawarma wrap from a food truck.

Cooking is another way to add something extra to your food experiences without blowing your budget. Trying out new recipes for close family members or friends is exciting. You do not have to be an expert, simply revel in the experience. Select fresh ingredients from a farmer's market. You may even opt to choose a specific cocktail to coordinate with the meal. Play music to fit with the choice of cuisine. It is about creating an experience that is unique and different. With a little effort, you can still enjoy yourself just as much as if you were out at a restaurant.

In all, food is my passion. It is something I really enjoy and spend a significant amount of time researching. The act of eating is just as much about the taste as the experience that is created when dining out or cooking in. Each of the ways outlined above can be incorporated into a dull routine in order to challenge your taste buds through diverse culinary experiences.

6 comments:

  1. What you mentioned about my piece "heart" I think is the crux of your piece also. I think (as Americans) we often see dining out to restaurants that offer new cultural experiences more like machines that churn out a new and interesting food choice. And we don't consider it any deeper of an experience other than enjoying something new to fill our bellies. When you get down to the (to steal a phrase) Ghost in the Machine, the soul of culture, your experience is quadrupled. I remember going to a Persian restaurant in Chicago with some Persian friends and sitting on proper cushions with low tables and being utterly transformed (heart, soul, and love of Persian food) by the experience. Similarly, after studying Japanese and knowing some of the ritual and culture behind dining I find many Japanese restaurants a little more intriguing. As you noted, even the company you keep and the journey through making the food can transform your experience from being 'just eating with friends' to something a bit more. Good Job, Leah!! ... and enjoy those crabs while the sea still provides them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leah,

    I absolutely detest seafood and fish, but something about your message linking learning food to learning about cultures resonated with me. When I first discovered Indian and Pakistani cuisine, I basically fell in love with it, and took an interest in the region and the (unfortunate) history between the two countries. There is an undeniable link between food and culture, and you can see it even in temporary gatherings like festivals or people camping: people cook food together, kitchens build communities.

    The other thing that struck me about your message is the way you've used your culinary adventures to build your own community in a new home. Relocating is certainly difficult, my wife and I moved from Ann Arbor to San Francisco 14 years ago and knew no one here, so I can empathize. In cities that have rich culinary offerings, there are often nice restaurants that have "family style" dining, where unrelated parties dine together. This is an interesting way of meeting people, and folds directly in your idea of keeping good company.

    Well done on this project...

    Best,

    -Maer...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maer- I really appreciate your feedback. Thank you for taking the time to view my work. On a side note, I tried to leave a comment on your blog yesterday, but it said that all comments must be approved. I just wanted to ask if you happen to see my comments, or if I should revisit your work. Thanks! :)

      Delete
  3. Leah, I have to confess that I absolutely do not enjoy cooking. Yet, I found myself intrigued when you said that you like to come home and recreate the recipes that you taste in restaurants. For whatever reason, I have never really engaged in cooking. I have always done it to not be hungry anymore, but when you said that you enjoy trying to recreate recipes, something struck a chord with me. That actually sounds really interesting and fun. It made me think about many of the flavors that I might be interested in creating, and it turned something I do not enjoy, cooking, into something that I might be able to enjoy (at least a little bit). Really nicely done. Thanks for a great semester!

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leah ~

    Love it! You had me at cold brew and crab! I love Sushi, too! Your video made me want to take a trip to Maryland, and I could completely picture the dining experience outside with all the descriptive words you chose. I LOVE eating out, it is one of my favorite things. And, just as you described, what I find so compelling about the experience is the conversation, trying new foods, learning about the culture, and taking the time to enjoy the whole experience. Nice job!

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leah!

    Thank you for sharing. I am also a huge foodie person and I would challenge you to even explain what about eating out or trying new food, or what about seafood (from Maryland) makes you appreciate them. I think you did a great job in the content delivery while providing visuals :)

    Mark

    ReplyDelete