Thursday, April 18, 2013

Top 10 Ideas on the Nature and Design of Compelling Experiences

This course has truly been an intense journey that has challenged me in many areas of learning. Despite this, the overall knowledge I have gained has proved to be very worthwhile on a personal and professional level. Below are my top ten ideas related to the NDCE. Enjoy!

10) Collaboration among colleagues is a crucial means of learning

Each student in the course provided different background knowledge based on their individual experiences. Even though the course was online,  collaboration played a major role. Throughout our discussions, I learned so much from my peers. It has been amazing to gain new insights from the blog entries and module projects as well.

9) One must observe and analyze in order to understand

For each assignment I found myself being pushed past my comfort level and into a new realm of thought. The projects required several parts. First, I had to read and reread the articles in order to gain more understanding. This took time. Then, I had to be observant as I searched for something in my own world to relate to as I worked through each module project. This required patience.

8) Technology is a tool to be implemented with a clear goal in mind

I think it goes without saying that I am an advocate for technology when used to enhance the quality of learning experiences. Each module was carefully crafted with the proper use of technology in mind. Our course Facebook page was a great resource used for discussions that added to the overall learning environment.

7) Always keep your eyes and ears open for new ideas

The assignments and projects in this course led me to view everyday experiences in different ways. For example, during my module projects I was more aware of significant occurrences in life to capture and use in my work. In addition, for the 2MM videos I had to examine my personal interests in order to evaluate the impact they had on my own life experiences. 

6) Teaching is a form of art in more ways than one

There comes a time during the school year when I seem to hit a plateau. This is when I turn to professional development or my colleagues for inspiration.   This course served to inspire me with new teaching ideas to incorporate within my own classroom. The assignments and readings kept me motivated to think outside of the box in my lesson design and instructional practices.

5) A space shapes your environment and overall well being

The architecture module really opened my eyes as to how a space plays a major role in an individuals' overall experience. The project for this module was interactive and fun to complete. It was a definite challenge, but a positive one. I find myself constantly thinking about the layout and design of my surroundings and how they relate to my experiences. 

4) Fresh perspectives spark new ideas and innovative thoughts

There were times where I felt compelled to redo projects or rewrite posts (not just for the 2MM 1). At first, this frustrated me. Then, I took a step back and realized that this was all just part of the learning process. Often times the second try was where my most significant thoughts surfaced. I made sure to really think about projects and discussions before just jumping in and participating.

3) You have the ability to transform the ordinary into something more

Each module caused me to experience and relate to the arts in ways that I have never thought of before. For example, something as simple as a  photograph was transformed into a beautiful piece in a few steps. First, one must have a clear goal in mind. Then, with the right tools and vision, this feat can be achieved. 


2) Creating compelling experiences in the classroom is key


Students become bored and disengaged quite easily. Taking into consideration the ideas I have learned in this course have helped shaped my outlook in the classroom. I think it's beneficial to be back in school myself, because I can relate to my students with more ease. Reading can be a dull task, but creating these unique experiences for students can be highly rewarding in nature. 

1) Challenging your own personal creativity can be a positive thing


At times I have found that there is a stigma surrounding creativity. Everyone has the ability to produce original, artistic work. No matter what profession you are in, you should do this to the best of your ability. This course channeled my thought process and allowed to me take my work to a new level. It also provided me with background knowledge into the nature and design of compelling experiences. As I am writing my plans, I think- "Okay, this has been done before. What could be added or changed to cause my students to really feel the topic or experience what I am teaching?". This is an ongoing and worthwhile process! 





No comments:

Post a Comment