Monday, February 25, 2013

Thoughts on Architecture & Interior Design (Part II)

Listening to Susanka's radio interviews on design provided me with a new outlook on how the layout of a particular space influences how the individual experiences that space. There are many important elements that go into making a design successful. I started thinking about the layout and design of my own elementary school building. The school that I teach at is very old, and the building is situated within an apartment complex. The outside is not visually appealing, but everyone knows this is a place of learning. My thoughts then drifted to my own classroom setup. For this entry I will discuss an imaginative bridge between Susanka's ideas and the classroom arrangement that is part of my everyday work area. 

I am aware that my classroom is not a "home". Nevertheless, my students and I spend so much time here, that in a way it becomes like a second home to us. Susanka mentions that "it's how we feel in a space" which is really key. My classroom is an open environment. There are no walls on one side, just a large hallway that leads to a stairwell. Initially, I did not favor this type of room. From the start, I said that if I had it my way I would have walls with a door I could close. Once I became more comfortable, I realized that I could work to create a feeling of intimacy and personal space without the confinement of the walls. 

Devising a plan took some time and effort on my end. I had to think about the the overall feeling I wished to create in my classroom. After several rounds of trial and error my room was finally complete. I started by blocking off the hallway with three large chalkboards. My desks were then set up in collaborative learning clusters. I did this to help foster a sense of community among students. Furthermore, I have a collection of cushions and pillows that set off my classroom library area. Each reading center has it's own private spot in the room. I hope that my students have  "a feeling of being wrapped by a space" in my room. A strong sense of place and space in the classroom is important to me. I want my students to feel comfortable in the learning space I have created for them.

Susanka said to focus on "quality" and not the "quantity" of the space. Basically, I am working to the best of my ability within my means. I would say that my classroom is set up in the most favorable way possible under the circumstances.  Overall, I believe the layout is conducive to student learning. As a teacher, classroom design is something that is crucial and must be thought out as well as planned in advance. Just like a homeowner can work to create a specific "tailoring of space", the teacher can work to set up their room in a way which supports student growth and learning. I realize that my thoughts here are somewhat related to this week's Facebook discussion. These ideas are leading me to formulate my opinions for the workplace as cubicles vs open space debate. I can't wait to read everyone's responses on this topic!
 Borrowed from Google Images

No comments:

Post a Comment