Wednesday, February 27, 2013

"A Tale of Two Retail Spaces" Module Project





I live close to a Town Center, so I had to think carefully about my choices for this particular project. Once I decided that I wanted to focus on restaurants, I wished to select two that were very different in nature and design. This project compelled me to view these familiar settings in a very new way.

My first selection was one that I knew well, Red Robin. I have visited this location before, but never took the time to actually study the entire space. My experience was that of a typical chain restaurant, maybe slightly better. Right from the start I could not stop looking at the pictures, artifacts, and signs that were literally everywhere. There was a lot to see, but it was not overwhelming for me. There was anything you could imagine from an American flag made of baseballs, to a large neon sign advertising different flavors of shakes. The warm color choices coordinated well between the ceiling, floor, and walls. After looking at the menu once, it was clear that visitors primarily come here for the burgers. Still, I did not feel rushed to make an immediate choice. I was able to select from healthy options if I was feeling in the mood for that type of food. While deciding, I noticed that the open windows let in natural light. The dim hanging fixture above my booth provided more, if needed. The seats were firm and comfortable after a long day of work. It was clear that the staff cared about the appearance of the interior. My experience here leads me to want to come back again... and again. 

DuClaw was next on the list. As I entered I knew that the atmosphere suited me well. My experience was different than that of Red Robin because I knew I could enjoy a long evening of relaxation and conversation in the bar area. The layout was conducive to this. The varied choices for seating let me select whatever happen to fit my mood at the time. The colors were dark browns and reds. This combination contributed to an overall darker feel, a sensation of being hidden away. I did not mind this though because I could look outside if I wanted to. In doing so this made me remember that I am still part of the outside world. There was not a lot of artwork, other than the advertisements for various craft beers. The selection of beer was vast and the food options were not bad either. I could settle for basic pub fare, or get a dinner with a little more class. This place made me feel at home and settled. I could see DuClaw being my new meeting spot with coworkers or close friends. The design led to a superb experience which was just right for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment