Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Photography Module Project (Before)

"Ego Alley" in Annapolis, Maryland

My topic is “Ego Alley” in Annapolis, Maryland. I chose to take a photograph of this landmark spot last weekend while I was out and about exploring the downtown area. I actually took several rounds of photos from many different angles. I figured I would chose a final shot once I had time to review my work at home. I care about this subject because to me, Annapolis is a special place full of intriguing history. The majority of my weekends are spent there and the town still has a lot to offer as I learn new tidbits of history at one point or another while on each visit. During the spring and summer months I spend a lot of time “yacht watching” as expensive and flashy boats drive back and forth throughout Ego Alley. This is a popular tourist spot where locals and visitors alike relax over a drink or a bite to eat while enjoying the serenity of the water scene.

After selecting a final shot I sat down to spend some time editing the photograph. I had to really analyze the picture and think about what could make it more special to someone who has never had the chance to view this area of Annapolis. I considered the type of emotion I wanted to convey and the mood I wanted the piece to create in my audience. After thinking hard, I made some minor adjustments and then… presto! My editing skills turned a simple shot into the work of art you see on my blog post below. In order to make my subject more compelling, I first added highlights. This served to brighten up the original picture. Then, I cropped the photo to minimize distractions and focus on the alley. This placed a greater emphasis on my subject.  I then added a vignette to frame the picture and add more depth to my piece. Finally, adding a level of warmth and film grain smoothed out the texture of the picture and created a softer shot. I really enjoyed working on this piece and hope to take more time capturing compelling images of this downtown area in my near future.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Leah,

    My photo for this project came from the other famous US sailing destination: San Francisco bay. I captured my final shot from the deck of a keelboat...It's nice to see another port. Well done on this!

    ReplyDelete